Senior Software Engineer - Portfolio Enterprise Data Lake
San Francisco, CA
Posted Aug 13, 2020 - Requisition No. 84366
Bloomberg is the global leader in business and financial data, news, and insight. Using the power of technology, we connect the world’s decision makers to accurate information on the financial markets – and help them make faster, smarter decisions.
Bloomberg Portfolio Analytics (PORT) empowers the biggest players in the financial world to manage their portfolios, assess exposures, and make decisions that move the markets. Our flagship product on the Bloomberg Professional service is a mission-critical tool used daily by money managers, mutual funds, hedge funds, and pension funds around the world. PORT provides industry-leading quantitative financial tools, and our enterprise reporting system produces hundreds of thousands of reports daily. Our quantitative models cover all aspects of financial data and reports are calculated according to user-specific model options. We are experiencing tremendous growth of our products and user base, and we are constantly looking to innovate upon our existing software and technologies.
The Portfolio Data Transparency team in San Francisco is the latest expansion of PORT Engineering, a highly-collaborative, globally-distributed department. We are building a new Apache Parquet-based data lake to integrate PORT’s enterprise reporting stack with our domain-specific Bloomberg Query Language (BQL). Customers are using our work to produce highly-customized reports and perform business intelligence-style analysis. We also maintain data science-oriented tooling for our department, such as Jupyter notebooks and Apache Spark, to support PORT systems, enable data transparency, and improve data quality across our application stack.
- Unique, compelling datasets curated by Bloomberg over decades of partnerships with the world's leading financial institutions
- Tens of terabytes of constantly growing data across various stores at the core of our platform that delivers hundreds of thousands of reports daily
- Supportive colleagues, many with significant involvement in the open source projects we use in our products
- An inclusive employee community, offering frequent technical training and professional development opportunities
We'll trust you to:
- Apply your practical experience with large data sets to the challenges of our dynamic environment
- Collaborate with teammates locally and around the globe to influence long-term development of PORT architecture and simplify complex data pipelines
- Work closely with internal and external clients, influence product design, and own your contributions from development to deployment and beyond
- Be comfortable with both compiled and interpreted programming languages, and switching between them as necessary
You need to have:
- Experience with large, scalable distributed systems
- Strong knowledge of data structures and understanding of algorithms
- Pragmatic problem solving skills
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field, or equivalent experience
We'd love to see:
- Experience with disk-backed data store design patterns and building infrastructure services
- Knowledge of data formats like Apache Parquet and technologies such as Apache Spark, Jupyter notebooks, and Apache Kafka
- Knowledge of Docker-based workflows and Kubernetes
- Interest in the financial markets
While these are examples of skills that will help you be successful in this role, they are not exhaustive or comprehensive, and we encourage you to apply if you believe this role is a great next step for your career.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.