Senior Software Engineer - Real Time Communications Platform
San Francisco, CA
Posted Dec 1, 2022 - Requisition No. 112040
Bloomberg data moves global financial markets, and conversations around that data are central to how markets are shaped. Through the terminal, clients can connect with anyone in its expansive community. Now more than ever, clients expect communication to be enriched through real-time audio and video. The Real Time Communication (RTC) Platform team is made up of AV conferencing and Telephony specialists entrusted with the mission to create a platform that enables interoperable, real-time communication across applications and environments and that drives integration with Bloomberg's best-in-class financial products.
Our core responsibility is to continue scaling Bloomberg's real-time multimedia communication platform using the latest technologies and standards to meet the demands of scale, resiliency, compliance, and feature sets inherent in a fast growing industry. In addition, we will aim to continue integrating real time communication into the core suite of Bloomberg applications to make video and audio communication as ubiquitous and practical as traditional text-based communication. From the core platform, we will continue to grow our set of advanced media services into directions such as recording, speech to text, streaming, computer vision, or any other promising initiatives that enrich Bloomberg Terminal user experience.
Few of the challenges that the team is currently addressing are:
- Scaling our Audio and Video capacity to up to 400000 users globally
- Instant global connectivity
- Support for large rooms (500+ participants)
- Enabling interoperability between Audio, Video and Telephony solutions that the team currently provides
- Building a common platform for Recording and Streaming Media
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Senior Software Engineer to join our team to contribute to building out our real-time communication platform. Your main focus will be the development and deployment of back end infrastructure. This work demands close collaboration with multiple partners such as Application teams, Product, UX researchers, Network, and other engineering teams. There is an immense amount of opportunity for research, innovation, and creative thinking. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated candidate due to the visibility and impact of this product, with a significant chance to make an impact in a still up-and-coming industry.
- Develop and enhance real-time communication infrastructure
- Design scalable, reliable, and maintainable backend services
- Research innovative ways to anticipate and address client needs in real-time media
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to work on JITSI and Asterisk open source projects
- Opportunity to innovate and contribute to building and extending real-time applications infrastructure
- Chance to work on high impact, high visibility, and challenging problems in building multimedia conferencing
- Opportunity to be a part of a select few teams responsible for multimedia and real-time communication on the Bloomberg terminal
- Contribute to open source
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Experience with network programming and real time communication protocols
- Strong problem solving and design and product development skills
We would love to see:
- Experience working with WebRTC, SIP or similar VoIP/video conferencing standards
- Experience with media formats (MP4, WebM), codecs (VP8, VP9, Opus) and video conferencing protocols/standards
- Experience with JITSI Video conferencing framework
- Experience with Asterisk PBX
- Any open source contributions
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus