Team Lead, Big Tech
San Francisco, CA
Posted May 7, 2021 - Requisition No. 90635
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest and most influential news organizations in the world. Our Global Technology team closely covers the companies and entrepreneurs that are changing the world, and holds them accountable. We’re seeking an agile, ambitious and unflappable leader capable of inspiring a group of highly motivated reporters and editors to cover the world’s most valuable and powerful companies, including Apple, Amazon and Google–and their influence on society, culture, the economy and beyond. You’ll work closely with reporters to break news, to guide coverage of fast-paced breaking stories, and to conceive and develop longer-term features and projects covering broader innovations and trends. You’ll be involved in the brainstorming and decision-making around our team’s priorities for covering these giants and the vast ecosystem of companies that depend on and compete with them. We’re chronicling the ways these companies are evolving and adapting at a time of rapid and unpredictable change in the industry and the world at large.
Who we're looking for:
You're an experienced editor and manager with a deep knowledge of the technology industry and a keen understanding of its most important companies and their products, innovations and challenges. Rather than just following the news and writing about its impact, you aspire to drive change through stories that question assumptions, uncover wrongdoing, spark debate, and inform regulators and lawmakers who oversee the industry. You’re versatile enough to react quickly and think clearly on the most pressing breaking news of the day while also pursuing more ambitious and impactful investigations. You’ll be equally comfortable editing and directing coverage on daily breaking news stories, working with colleagues across industry teams and time zones, as you are thinking big and dreaming up smart enterprise ideas. You’re a wordsmith who can confidently work alongside writers to make their copy engaging, informative and lively.
You are game to take on challenging subjects and themes to bring new ideas to light and help our work stand out every day. You are able to develop stories and features for a variety of platforms, including the web, the Bloomberg Terminal, Bloomberg TV, QuickTake videos and Bloomberg Businessweek magazine, and are eager to tell stories using a variety of tools such as video, graphics and data journalism.
We'll trust you to:
- Work with reporters and editors to conceptualize and publish intelligent, high-impact news
- Shepherd and edit breaking news stories from scoop to analysis on tight daily deadlines
- Edit feature-length stories about Big Tech’s most important initiatives and how they are impacting consumers, rivals, the market, the economy and society in general.
- Work with reporters to ensure the accuracy and reliability of Bloomberg News’ work
- Collaborate with reporters and editors on the Global Technology team and others across teams and regions
- Help develop team members’ skills, conduct reviews and support employees’ career paths
- Organize meetings and manage team communications and agendas
- Be committed to the best journalistic practices, sound judgment and a willingness to learn
- Minimum of five years of technology journalism experience, with editing and management experience strongly preferred
- Deep knowledge of and interest in the technology industry
- A solid track record of breaking news and a portfolio of long-form investigative features
- The ability to write and edit quickly and concisely under deadline pressure
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
You'll need to have:
(San Francisco or New York)
If this sounds like you, apply today! We're eager to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.