Technical Writer/Instructional Designer for BQuant and BQL
San Francisco, CA
Posted Jul 19, 2022 - Requisition No. 102118
Instructional Designer/Technical Writer for BQuant:
Finance is changing, and fast: new financial professionals are learning to code with Python and create their own custom analytical solutions. Bloomberg has identified an exciting new opportunity to reach this tech-savvy client base by building products that open our data, core products, and visualizations to data scientists, ML researchers, and quantitative modelers: the BQuant platform and the Bloomberg Query Language (BQL).
Bloomberg is the global leader in business and financial data, news and insight. With BQuant and BQL, users can bring their own algorithms to our data. We provide a unified environment where users can develop their code and test, share, and deploy it easily. The impact? Providing the entire industry with tools that are currently available only to large banks and hedge funds.
We're looking for a hybrid instructional designer/technical writer with coding experience and top-notch writing skills to help our users get the most out of these solutions. In this role, you'll design curricula and write content for a new online learning strategy being developed for BQuant, BQL, and related technical products. You'll collaborate closely with Product, Engineering, UX Design and Research, developer advocates, and other writers to create engaging documentation and instructional materials based on user research and solid scientific principles.
Who we are:
Bloomberg’s Product Documentation team creates user assistance materials that span business areas across the financial markets. We partner with Product, Engineering, and UX teams to investigate requirements in an energetic environment, characterized by frequent product updates and quick time-to-market. Our team members have the skills to solicit business needs, jump quickly from discovery to draft, and shift seamlessly between deliverables and writing styles.
We're a highly collaborative team of 20+ writers that values peer-to-peer editing, an iterative writing process, and cooperative idea generation. Though we move quickly and strive to perfect the art of balancing competing priorities, we put a premium on quality -- both of writing and ideas.
We'll trust you to:
- Perform needs analysis with subject matter experts (SMEs), help define learning objectives, and decide on appropriate e-learning solutions.
- Work directly with cross-functional stakeholders to research and write deliverables for a comprehensive body of documentation and learning materials, including API documentation, user guides, product overviews, tutorials, and more
- Apply modern learning theory to structure highly effective learning flows
- Gain quick knowledge of the markets, so you can convey technical material in the context of a financial professional's workflow
- Develop guidelines and best practices to ensure other content producers comply with a unified learning strategy
- Develop processes for ongoing evaluation and maintenance of all learning assets
You'll need to have:
- A combined 5+ years of experience in technical or professional writing, instructional design, learning experience design, human-centered design, and/or related field
- Strong, flexible writing skills appropriate for an end-user client audience
- Demonstrated experience applying learning theory and instructional design
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to juggle multiple projects at once with variable timelines
- Experience working directly with SMEs to create content for multiple mediums (tutorials, videos, interactive learning modules, instructional graphics, and more)
- A proven track record of success interacting with all levels of staff, including UX researchers and designers, developers, business specialists, and senior management
- Demonstrated ability to understand and explain code
We'd love to see:
- Grounding in cognitive and learning sciences
- Degree or certification in instructional design, design thinking, human learning theory, or related
- Editing experience and ability to establish style guidelines for other content creators
- Hands-on experience with Python, APIs, and query languages
- Working knowledge of the financial markets
- Ability to author in Markdown