Breaking News Editor (Portuguese speaker)
Posted Nov 3, 2021 - Requisition No. 97142
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Bloomberg is one of the world's biggest financial news organizations, leading the way in covering corporate earnings, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and other market-moving events. Bloomberg's Breaking News team is fast and innovative, and our mission is to deliver the news to readers as quickly as possible, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead.
As a Breaking News editor you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story in Brazil. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including regulatory wires and company websites; use strong news judgement to identify what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly and as clearly as possible to our clients.
You'll take the lead in covering the quarterly earnings of corporate heavyweights like Petrobras and Itau, using cutting-edge tools and automation technology to provide instant context. You will be the first to inform readers of surprise announcements in a fast-paced environment, whether it be Vale slashing its iron output or the government's attempts to curb fuel prices. Markets will rise and fall based on the headlines you send in English and Portuguese.
When unexpected news breaks, we will jump in to cover it rather than hang back and wait for someone else to take the first step. We understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and we're adept at separating the wheat from the chaff on social media. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in Latin America.
We'll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings and government news
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Utilize machine-learning tools to ensure Bloomberg remains on the cusp of breaking news
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately, in English and Portuguese
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors across all our bureaus in Latin America
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You need to have:
- Fluency in English and Portuguese
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Three to five years of experience covering financial and business news
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments. News is unpredictable!
We’d also love to see:
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.