Asia Entertainment Reporter - Seoul
Posted Nov 15, 2022 - Requisition No. 111597
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest financial and business news organizations in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from intraday coverage through in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
Bloomberg is seeking its first full-time entertainment correspondent in Asia, someone who will jump at the opportunity to report from some of the fastest-growing media markets in the world. This reporter will cover the biggest companies and personalities responsible for producing Korean pop, Bollywood movies and anime while also writing about what Western and Chinese entertainment conglomerates are doing across the region.
South Korea is looking to export its culture to the world and has already created the biggest boy band in the world, as well as the most popular TV series of last year. Western companies are looking to dominate India and Japan as much as they do the US and Canada. Significant cultural differences remain, and this reporter will need to understand and explain how Blackpink took over the world or why Hollywood can no longer get its movies into China.
You will be expected to break news about Disney’s next big moves in Asia, cover earnings for BTS’ management company and write a piece of analysis or a magazine feature about what’s happening in the Indian film business. That means you need to nurture and sustain relationships with media moguls as well as earn the trust of the rank-and-file staffers who will share what’s really going on at these companies.
You will work closely with teams worldwide, including editors and colleagues on the entertainment team in the US. You will get the opportunity to contribute to Bloomberg TV, Quicktake and Businessweek magazine.
We'll trust you to:
- Collaborate with editors and other colleagues in the region to break news that resonates to a global audience
- Travel across the region to develop sources in all of the major entertainment capitals
- Plan longer-form features and enterprise that are informative, investigative and a delight to read.
- Come up with your own story ideas and coordinate with the rest of the newsroom to bring them to light and across multiple platforms, from print to TV
- Promote diversity of thought and representation throughout our coverage
You'll need to have:
- At least 5 recent years of journalism experience
- Experience working at a real-time news service
- Experience covering entertainment companies as a reporter
- Demonstrated ability to build and nurture sourcing relationships at various levels of seniority
- Working knowledge of financial markets at both the public and private levels
- Grace under deadline and openness to feedback
- Experience in cross-team collaboration
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
- Experience reporting in an Asian country, and/or a desire to travel across the APAC region
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/careers/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.