Breaking News Managing Editor - Singapore
Posted Jan 5, 2022 - Requisition No. 99296
Bloomberg News is the biggest financial and business news organization in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from intraday coverage through in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
What is the role?
You are a passionate, thoughtful and experienced journalist. You are energized by breaking news and always seek to put Bloomberg ahead of our competitors through quick thinking and use of the latest technology. As one of two Breaking News Managing Editors in the Asia-Pacific region, you will be responsible for three teams of editors that own the first fifteen minutes of news from a broad remit of sources, from regulatory filings to social media. Geographically, your remit will be the part of Asia comprising Southeast Asia, South Asia, Australia and New Zealand, and your teams will be at the forefront of a wide range of topics from Grab Holdings Inc.'s SPAC merger to the Crown Resorts bidding war, from Mukesh Ambani's clean-energy push to the resurgence of former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak.
On the one hand you're a journalist that takes a creative approach to this role, on the other you're a hands-on leader able to make split-second judgement calls based on your nuanced understanding of the news flow. Over the longer term, you will collaborate with your peer in the region, the Breaking News Managing Editor of Northeast Asia, to present a strategy and vision for improving the speed, accuracy and depth of our output in a way that also speaks to the circumstances of Asia-Pacific.
You will also be assuming leadership of the team as we expand the breadth and depth of company earnings coverage. You'll be in constant conversation with the Data-Driven News team and departments such as Global Data, on topics including tools, automation and extraction, and quality of estimates. You will also coordinate with other teams in News to ensure the quality and consistency of our coverage, from previews to post-earnings reactions.
We'll trust you to:
- Have a strong sense of urgency and be sensitive to the needs of real-time clients
- Develop a culture of proactiveness, innovation, and being hands on
- Build influential relationships with leaders across News
- Demonstrate an understanding of short-form writing and superior editing skills
- Be a thoughtful, accountable and dedicated leader, determined to elevate and expand our coverage
- Uphold and enforce best practices to ensure constant quality
- Identify future newsroom leaders and help foster their development
- Anticipate issues that may arise, work across teams and departments to find appropriate solutions, and know when to escalate accordingly
You'll need to have:
- A minimum of 7 recent years of experience in Journalism
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a real-time news environment
- A minimum of 3 years in a position directly managing journalists
- Experience covering business, economic or financial news as a reporter or editor
- Ability to remain stoic and demonstrate sound judgement in our fast-paced and dynamic news environment
- Demonstrated ability to break down silos and communicate across regions
- Understanding of the potential and pitfalls of social media as a source of news
- Keen interest in innovation, openness to new ideas
- An unwavering commitment to accuracy
- Ability to organize coverage with an emphasis on collaboration
- Ability to make good judgement calls on sensitive stories
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: www.blpcareers.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer.
Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing email@example.com.