BloombergNEF - Frontier Tech Research Analyst - Singapore
Posted May 16, 2019 - Requisition No. 75147
We are seeking a talented individual to join our analyst team in Singapore, focusing on advanced technologies. You're one of those people who have a real passion for understanding technology and its business impact, and want to be at the forefront of these developments. You enjoy solving problems and figuring out how technologies work and can track down relevant information and data. You are able to explain how these developments will affect industries as well as the opportunities for our clients. You have strong quantitative skills and you love to analyze complex subjects in order to make them simpler. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
You will be based in our Singapore office as part of the analyst team within BloombergNEF – the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading the future of energy, transport, technology, and commodities. Our team of experts, spread across six continents, provides independent analysis and insight, working with the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, resource firms, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and governments.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com or request more information via https://about.bnef.com/contact.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
What's the role?
You will be responsible for analyzing a number of advanced technologies and the impact that they will have on the energy sector and other industries, including manufacturing and communications. Likely topics include the impact of datacenters on the energy system, new microgrid technologies and their deployment, and some of the latest advances in machine learning technologies and their applications. Whilst the job is not a technical role, you will need to delve into these technologies and unravel the key elements of how they work and the applications, products and services that they enable. You should have a real interest in business and enjoy puzzling out the strategic implications for these industries and for our clients – we need you to engage with people in the industry to build both knowledge and a network of relationships. This is an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge and exposure to a growing industry and work with a highly dynamic and collaborative team.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop knowledge on advanced technologies relevant to the energy sector and adjacent industries. Topics may include recent advances in machine learning, microgrid technologies, energy saving developments in datacenter and communications networks and cybersecurity.
- Build a picture of the impact that these technologies will have on market structure and businesses, including their energy demand, efficiency, economics and complexity.
- Identify market players, analyze their strategies and product offerings, and compare relative strengths and weaknesses.
- Monitor and write about relevant industry events, such as partnerships, deals and product or technology announcements.
- Where appropriate, collect and analyze quantitative information on technologies.
- Write in an engaging and developed manner so that the work is both informative and easy to read and understand.
- Engage with clients and industry figures regularly, through visiting their offices, speaking at conferences, attending working groups, presenting content to clients and prospects.
- Work with colleagues in your team and other BNEF teams collaboratively, to draw out the best possible insights collectively for our clients.
You'll need to have:
- Degree in a science or quantitative subject such as science, engineering, maths, or computing.
- A genuine interest in new technologies and the impact that these can have.
- Interest and understanding of business and ability to identify the commercial implications of technologies and their applications.
- An appreciation of software and hardware technologies and related industries, whilst recognizing that this is not specifically a technical role.
- Strong numerical and qualitative analysis skills.
- An ability to quickly understand, distill and communicate complex topics to non-specialist audiences.
- Confidence in conducting research calls and meeting with senior industry contacts and early stage companies.
- Good communication skills: writing (for research reports, in English) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media).
- Strong curiosity and an appetite to learn about new things.
- An ability to get things done efficiently and to meet deadlines.
We’d love to see:
- Specific experience of advanced hardware and software technologies or of working in related industries.
- Graduate degree in a science or quantitative subject.
- Understanding of finance, investment appraisal and capital markets.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/careers/
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.