Network System Reliability Engineer - Singapore
Posted Jan 26, 2022 - Requisition No. 100158
Bloomberg delivers critical information in a world where information matters. We give influential decision makers in business, finance and government an edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of news, people and ideas. To do that, we need a constant flow of ideas, energy, innovation—which is where you come in. At Bloomberg, you will have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks.
The Bloomberg Network is one of the largest private networks in the world, spanning over 100 node sites and connecting clients globally to over 1,500 exchanges, which is integral to the success of the company. The Network System Reliability Engineering (NSRE) team at Bloomberg is responsible for the observability, reliability, and performance of the network infrastructure that provides connectivity for internal and external business applications.
We are involved with all aspects of planning, implementation, and monitoring of network infrastructure, spanning over a hundred Points of Presence (POPs) globally and serve as a point of escalation for Network Operations. We work closely with other Engineering and SRE teams, Network Design teams, the Chief Technology Office (CTO), and product managers across the enterprise, driving technology forward and using Bloomberg's MPLS network, The Internet, and the Public Clouds for business and client needs.
What's the role?
Our team uses both Design and DevOps techniques to best ensure the performance and reliability of applications over our network. We focus on growing the observability of our network and in quantifying key performance metrics.
As a member of the APAC NSRE team, you will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of a project, including implementation, automation, thorough testing, documentation, and monitoring. Furthermore, we are the point of escalation for Network Operations who involve us as subject matter experts when needed, especially in new project roll-outs. We also provide our expertise through tech talks, Q&A sessions, and creating hand-over documentation.
You will be required to keep key stakeholders up to date when handling critical situations relating to the running of our network, such as by posting notes on instant message chats, writing detailed summaries to stakeholders including senior leadership, and being able to verbally communicate during debrief calls what caused an issue and how it was mitigated.
We also expect that you will suggest improvements to our workflows and continually show a willingness to learn new skills. Join us in the NSRE team to collaborate with your peers and other experts across departments to solve interesting problems!
We'll trust you to:
- Measure key performance metrics of our network and proactively identify problems
- Use DevOps principles to script and automate workflows, especially needed for testing network hardware and the roll-out of new software versions
- Take ownership and work independently on problems and handle escalations from Network Operations
- Plan, design, install, and manage the lifecycle of MPLS Provider/Edge Routers and Internet Peering Edge routers, including the recommendation of system software and hardware
- Provide written and verbal summaries of network issues to stakeholders
- Work on projects and respond to escalations simultaneously- Work with an agile mind-set, to be data-driven, and prepared to adjust the course
You'll need to have:
- 5+ years experience in Juniper, Cisco, or Arista Network Engineering and configuration experience with routers and switches
- Hands-on experience with and theoretical understanding of BGP, OSPF/IS-IS, PIM, and IGMP
- Hands-on experience with Public Cloud deployments in AWS, Azure, or GCP
- Programming experience with Python or Go
- Experience juggling multiple projects with a flexible and adaptable approach
- The ability to communicate effectively across multiple stakeholder groups
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
We'd love to see:
- Experience with protocols and technologies including MPLS/VxLAN, L3 VPNs/EVPNs
- Experience with orchestration such as Ansible/Salt
- Experience with Git, CI/CD pipeline
- Experience with analyzing packet captures using Wireshark and with tools like Fmad, Corvil, Riverbed
- Experience with visualization tools like Grafana/Kibana
- An aptitude for keeping up to date with newest technologies like Segment Routing, Containers, Kubernetes, Calico/Cilium
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.