Economist - Sydney
Posted Apr 17, 2019 - Requisition No. 74707
Bloomberg Economics offers a comprehensive macroeconomic research service for Terminal subscribers. That includes detailed forecasts, supported by rigorous and creative thematic research. The economists also produce previews of major data releases and economic events, analysis of the numbers as they break, daily regional briefs and a weekly call on global events.With more than 100 reporters and 25 economists worldwide, Bloomberg Economics has unique capacity to explain where the global economy is now and where it is heading. Our economists deliver insight into the themes that drive policy, financial markets and capital flows.
What's the role?
Bloomberg is seeking an experienced Economist to join a global team of analysts, covering key trends in Australia and New Zealand. You will play a critical role, providing insightful analysis on economic events to a sophisticated financial audience, and contribute to the team’s research on important themes. You will also have opportunities to partner with economists on the broader Asia and global coverage.You will generate quick analysis about economic data, policy, and financial markets, as well as research on longer-term trends and risks. Our goal is to deliver insightful content for Bloomberg's client base to be distributed over the terminal. You will also leverage experience working for a financial firm or policy institution to provide crisp analysis, informed by extensive country knowledge.
We'll trust you to:
- Rapidly interpret and communicate the impact of economic events and data on global financial markets.
- Demonstrate a knack for verbal, visual, and written communication, delivering clear and compelling analysis to Bloomberg's broad audience.
- Partner with other economists as well as senior economic reporters, from time to time, to produce content.
- Exhibit a high level ability to use Excel, or any other statistical package, to crunch and display data, including the ability to build sophisticated charts.
- Be comfortable speaking on TV and in front of large audience
You'd need to have:
- 5+ years of relevant experience in economic analysis, with proven expertise in analyzing Australia and New Zealand economic data, monetary and fiscal policies and long-term structural challenges
- A graduate degree in economics
- Energy and initiative needed to provide a consistent flow of high-quality analysis, eschewing ideological or political points of view
- Ability to generate readable and insightful content across a variety of formats, ranging from rapid turnaround responses to economic events to longer-term collaborative research into major global economic trends
- Practical experience of generating or coordinating forecasts would be preferred. And applications from those with policy experience and/or econometrics skills are encouraged
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/about
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.