Breaking News Editor (Chinese speaker) - Taipei
Posted Sep 9, 2021 - Requisition No. 95254
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team covering mainland China. Bloomberg is one of the world's biggest financial news organizations, leading the way in covering mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and other major events relevant to markets. Bloomberg's Breaking News team is fast and innovative, and our mission is to deliver this news to readers as quickly as possible, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead.
As a Breaking News editor you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story out of China. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including regulatory wires, company websites and social media; use strong news judgement to decide what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly as possible, as clearly as possible, for our real-time clients. With its enormous economic heft, unique approach to markets and businesses, and expanding political influence, China produces some of the most closely-watched news in the world. You'll take the lead on many of these stories, such as when China unveils its GDP target, when the government announces new measures to regulate the tech sector, or when tensions mount between China and the U.S. The impact of these stories are felt around the globe.
Breaking News editors thrive in a high-pressure environment, aren't afraid to make split-second decisions, and love surprises. When unexpected news breaks, we will jump in to cover it rather than hang back and wait for someone else to take the first step. We work well with both people and technology. We understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and we're adept at separating the wheat from the chaff on social media. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in Greater China.
We'll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately, in English
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors in Greater China and across the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You need to have:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Three to five years of experience covering financial and business news
- Fluency in both Mandarin and English
- An understanding of how the Chinese economy and government work, and how they affect each other
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Familiarity with Chinese social-media platforms and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments. News is unpredictable!
We’d also love to see:
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
- Fluency in Cantonese
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at http://www.bloomberg.com/
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.