BloombergNEF - Energy Storage Analyst
Posted Feb 16, 2021 - Requisition No. 88850
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, materials, and commodities.
With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world's most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg's global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don't rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our Energy Storage team in our Tokyo office. The team focuses on energy storage technologies, supply chains and value chains, with a particular focus on the lithium-ion battery industry. The team also covers non-lithium based technologies for the stationary storage market. The team produces research for clients in industry, government and finance. We work closely with our colleagues in the Metals and Mining, Electrified Transport and Decentralized Energy teams to quantify the impact of these technologies on the respective sectors and to identify any barriers or bottlenecks. This includes tracking investment flows, understanding the underlying economics of processes like manufacturing and recycling, analyzing the impacts of policy, and covering company activities and business strategies.
We'll trust you to:
- Become an expert on the lithium-ion battery value chain in Japan and Korea.
- Build and maintain datasets and models to help our clients map out the battery supply chain.
- Stay up to date and communicate any changes to industrial policy relating to the lithium-ion battery value chain in Japan and Korea.
- Produce industry research, both quantitative and qualitative, by building a network of research contacts and using public and proprietary data sources.
- Effectively communicate findings by authoring and publishing research reports and datasets, as well as interacting directly with our clients and prospective clients.
- Keep apprised of emerging storage technologies at the lab and R&D scale, both lithium and non-lithium based.
- Act as a self-starter, have a high work-rate and have the ability to work on parallel tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
What's the role:
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct analysis and gather data, and present findings in written reports.
- Provide insights to our clients across a range of topics that may include cell chemistry developments, battery rack/pack design, manufacturing processes, techniques and emissions, end of life treatment and the competitive landscape.
- Monitor and asses the activities of Korean and Japanese component and cell manufacturers, as well as any government bodies or policies that will support these companies domestically and overseas.
- Quantify the impact of new components and manufacturing processes on manufacturing cost, cell performance, emissions and material demand.
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries.
- Relate our work to BNEF's wider coverage and forecasts in energy, transport, and commodities.
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders.
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects.
You'll need to have:
- A degree in a scientific discipline, engineering, or economics.
- A basic understanding of lithium-ion batteries, stationary storage or battery pack design.
- Strong quantitative skills; comfortable with large datasets, making assumptions based on available evidence and building Excel models and tools.
- Strong communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media).
- Business level proficiency in Korean and Japanese speaking and reading to help with research and for presenting to clients.
- A natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely.
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high-quality work.
- Willingness to form and voice your own opinions on technology, company and country strategy, and industry direction.
- A desire to exchange knowledge and ideas with BNEF clients, and a keen interest in energy storage technologies and related markets.
We'd love to see:
- Post-graduate qualifications or professional experience in energy storage technologies or the electric vehicle industry.
- Knowledge of lithium-ion battery manufacturing, electronics engineering or supply chain analysis.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if we believe you're a good match, we'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.