Breaking News Editor (Japanese speaker) - Tokyo
Posted Sep 9, 2021 - Requisition No. 95250
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in Tokyo. Bloomberg is one of the world's biggest financial news organizations, leading the way in covering mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and other major events relevant to markets. Bloomberg's Breaking News team is fast and innovative, and our mission is to deliver this news to readers as quickly as possible, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead.
As a Breaking News editor you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story out of Japan, from negative rates to big earthquakes. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including regulatory wires, company websites and social media; use strong news judgement to decide what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly as possible, as clearly as possible, for our real-time clients. You'll take the lead when Toyota or other leading carmakers announce massive production cuts, when SoftBank inks a mega-deal worth billions of dollars, when the Bank of Japan rocks markets with an unexpected policy move, or when the prime minister suddenly steps down. You'll work with colleagues on all teams in Tokyo to cover the day's biggest news regardless of beat, expanding your network in one of our biggest Asian bureaus.
Breaking News editors thrive in a high-pressure environment, aren't afraid to make split-second decisions, and love surprises. When unexpected news breaks, we will jump in to cover it rather than hang back and wait for someone else to take the first step. We work well with both people and technology. We understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and we're adept at separating the wheat from the chaff on social media. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in North Asia.
We'll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors in Japan and across the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You need to have:
- Three to five years of experience covering financial and business news
- Fluency in both Japanese and English
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments. News is unpredictable!
If this sounds like you:
Apply! We’ll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.