Energy Analyst - Bloomberg NEF - Tokyo
Posted Aug 14, 2017 - Requisition No. 60098
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, innovative materials, and commodities. With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies. Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information via https://about.bnef.com/contact/.
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our Japan analysis team as an entry-level analyst based in Tokyo. You're one of those people who have a real passion for energy markets, and you want to be at the forefront of this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to analyze critically complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
You will be based in our Tokyo office as part of the Japan analyst team, for Bloomberg New Energy Finance - the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading the future of energy. Our team of experts, spread across six continents, provides independent analysis and insight, working with the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and government.
What's the role?:
You will be responsible for undertaking primary research and analysis on the Japanese and the North Asian LNG/gas markets, producing written reports, presentations, tools and other products. You will also be responsible for answering client requests and supporting business development through client interactions in both English and Japanese.
We'll trust you to:
- Learn and analyze the role of LNG/gas in a deregulated Japan power market and in South Korea under the new president's policies
- Develop LNG demand scenarios for Japan and South Korea
- Track and understand implications of new technologies
- Build and maintain data sets on LNG infrastructures (export/import terminals, storage, onshore pipelines, refueling stations)
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct research, and report on the findings in a timely manner
- Develop and implement market-driving products, data sets, forecasts, and tools
- Collaborate with a high degree of integrity with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Promote high degree of knowledge leadership in the market
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior partners
- Contribute to one-off pieces of consultancy on specific topics
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
You'll need to have:
- Interest in and enthusiasm for commodities, energy markets, and utilities
- A degree in sciences, engineering, social sciences or business
- Exceptional communication skills in English and Japanese, including reading and writing to conduct research and present your views to Japanese and international clients
- Confidence and accuracy conducting numerical analysis and familiarity with data
- Familiarity with financial markets, financial analysis, and corporate strategy
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying skepticism to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distill and relate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Confidence conducting research calls and communicating with senior industry contacts and academics
- Excellent time management skills and confidence working on multiple projects at once, able to keep up with a demanding, dynamic environment
We'd love to see:
- Additional Asian languages
- Post-graduate qualifications or professional experience in sciences, engineering or economics
- Internship or work experience in the commodities, oil and gas, finance industries
Does this sound like you?
If so, apply today. If we believe you're a match, we'll get in touch with you soon about next steps.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.