Japan Economy Reporter - Tokyo
Posted May 27, 2022 - Requisition No. 104008
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest financial and business news organizations in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from daily coverage through to in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
You are a journalist with experience in economics, bonds, FX or other financial markets and keen to join our economics team in Tokyo in a reporting role. You have a track record of breaking news and uncovering trends in the world's third-biggest economy and enjoy finding creative ways to show how developments fit into a bigger picture of global relevance.
Your beat will include the Ministry of Finance, where you will seek to break news on the latest policy deliberations and write thematic pieces on fiscal trends. You'll also cover economic data, delivering fast and insightful stories that go beyond headline figures. And you will help across the economics file, assisting with central bank, trade, political news and across the broader newsroom when big stories break.
You are comfortable working across formats -- from print, magazine, radio, TV, podcasts and for the Web.
We'll trust you to:
- Cover economic indicators and policymakers comments in a competitive environment
- Decode complicated concepts and economic jargon into digestible narrative that helps readers understand the context and significance of issues and developments
- Collaborate with reporters across the newsroom and broader region
- Advocate for our readers, ensuring that stories are told in the most appropriate and creative format
You’ll need to have:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in financial or economics journalism
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Fluency in both spoken and written English and Japanese
- Strong knowledge of and curiosity about economics
- The ability to write quickly and concisely
- A penchant for generating and improving story ideas
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: www.blpcareers.com
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.