Materials Analyst - Tokyo
Posted Jun 9, 2021 - Requisition No. 91295
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, materials, and commodities.
With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join BNEF’s Sustainable Materials team in our Tokyo office. The team produces industry leading research examining how the materials sector can decarbonize and become environmentally sustainable. We focus on zero emissions production routes for steel, petrochemicals, aluminum and cement, recycling and the circular economy, bioplastics, and carbon capture, utilization and storage. We quantify the impact and evaluate the opportunities that these new technologies and processes could have for the climate, companies and business models. This includes tracking investment flows, understanding the underlying economics of processes like recycling and making green steel, analyzing the impacts of policy, and covering company activities and business strategies. Our research is widely read by our clients who are key decision makers in industry, government and finance.
We'll trust you to:
- Become an expert on efforts to decarbonize steel making, including the technologies available, projects underway, activity in the market and strategies of the major players
- Become an expert on the circular economy in Asia, including tracking projects, policies and company activity
- Collaborate with the rest of the team on their work on low-carbon plastics, metals and building materials, and your colleagues in our hydrogen, metals, sustainability, policy and Asia-Pacific country teams
- Build and maintain datasets and models to further our clients’ understanding of the impact of sustainability and net-zero targets on material manufacturing and costs
- Produce industry research, both quantitative and qualitative, by building a network of research contacts and using public and proprietary data sources
- Effectively communicate findings by presenting data in creative and accessible ways, authoring and publishing research reports and datasets, presenting at conferences, and interacting directly with our clients and prospective clients
- Keep apprised of emerging materials and manufacturing technologies
- Act as a self-starter, have a high work-rate and have the ability to work on parallel tasks while maintaining attention to detail
What's the role:
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, gather information, conduct analysis, and present findings in written reports and presentations
- Understand the process, economics, performance, and impact of recycling and sustainable material production technologies
- Assess the business opportunity and impact of more sustainable materials on the industry
- Develop forecasts for material demand, technology costs, asset deployment and production
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Relate our work to BNEF’s wider coverage and forecasts in energy, transport, and commodities
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
You'll need to have:
- A degree in a scientific discipline, engineering, or economics
- A basic understanding of materials science and chemistry fundamentals
- Strong quantitative skills; comfortable with large datasets and building Excel models and tools
- Strong communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
- A natural aptitude for data visualization and writing clearly and concisely
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high-quality work
- Willingness to form and voice your own opinions on technology, policy and company strategy
- A desire to exchange knowledge and ideas with BNEF clients, and a keen interest in the business opportunities from addressing climate change and making the materials sector more sustainable
We'd love to see:
- Qualifications or professional experience in materials science, engineering, or chemistry
- Knowledge of steel markets or manufacturing processes
- Experience conducting life cycle analyses, in financial markets or project finance, or in corporate sustainability
- Language skills in Mandarin, Japanese, or Korean
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: www.blpcareers.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer.