Software Engineering Team Leader - Real Time Market Data & News Feeds - Tokyo
Posted Aug 17, 2022 - Requisition No. 106528
Real-time market data is at the core of Bloomberg's business, and our team develops the software which procures it. Our applications subscribe to real-time data feeds from hundreds of exchanges and financial institutions around the world and model billions of events per day in ways that our systems and our clients can understand. This data is mission critical for many Bloomberg products and our clients. We pay extremely close attention to performance, quality, and reliability.
As APAC markets have grown and become more dynamic over the past 5 years, we have expanded our organization in order to build better products consistent with the increasing importance of this data to our clients. We currently have five teams in APAC, three in Tokyo and two in Hong Kong, and we are looking for a Team Leader for one of our teams in Tokyo.
What’s in it for you?
As the Team Leader for the Feeds Oceania team, you will lead, provide mentorship, and develop a team of 4 software engineers with varying levels of experience, who are responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining real-time feeds for stock exchanges in Australia, Japan, Mongolia, New Zealand, South Korea, and Taiwan. Our applications are mostly implemented in C++, with some written in Python, on Linux. We use different message protocols including FIX/FAST, ITCH, and OMX, and we receive data from stock exchanges via TCP, UDP, Multicast, and FTP.
You will get to collaborate with various internal businesses throughout the region and make independent decisions about the technical roadmap for these markets. Your impact on these markets will be immediate. You will be able to identify and pursue high-impact opportunities for yourself and your team in strategic areas of interest for both the global Feeds organization and Software Engineering in APAC.
You will need to have:
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role among software engineers
- Strong software engineering experience, ideally with C++, or comparable technologies
- Proven ability to motivate a team in a high-stakes environment
- Demonstrated ability to foster an environment of openness and collaboration
- A passion for coaching, mentoring, and helping others to grow and succeed
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and influence others
- Sound technical judgment and decision making skills
- Pragmatic engineering mentality with focus on real world problem solving, not letting perfect be the enemy of good
- Willingness to collaborate and seek feedback and input from across the organization, both through informal outreach and through written proposals and designs
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
We would love to see:
- Experience promoting a strong engineering culture with a focus on performance, quality, and reliability
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience with real-time systems
- Experience influencing standards or best practices for large organizations
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime, feel free to have a look at this:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.