Co-Chief Compliance Officer - Tradebook Canada
Posted Oct 28, 2021 - Requisition No. 96898
Bloomberg’s Legal & Compliance Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that arise across the Company’s various businesses. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program!
The Global Compliance team within Bloomberg’s Legal & Compliance Department provides coverage of our regulated entities and products including support for our non-regulated products and services. We work to address regulatory issues, ensure compliance with current/developing rules and regulations, and correspond with regulators.
Bloomberg Tradebook Canada Company ("Tradebook Canada") is registered as an alternative trading system and investment dealer in various Canadian provinces and as a U.S. broker-dealer. Its primary regulators are the Ontario Securities Commission ("OSC"), IIROC, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). Tradebook Canada focuses on providing access to electronic execution and negotiation systems operated by its non-Canadian affiliates.
What’s The Role?
Reporting to the global head of Bloomberg Tradebook Compliance, you will be responsible for leading compliance coverage for Tradebook Canada (as well as, assist with Compliance initiatives for certain affiliates in the United States, South America, and APAC), including helping to ensure compliance with current/developing rules and regulations, maintaining and improving the compliance framework and program, and in corresponding with regulators (including the OSC and IIROC). The role will also involve project management to coordinate, oversee and complete projects working with internal stakeholders in New York, London, and key jurisdictions in Asia, for purposes of coordinating compliance coverage for Tradebook Canada.
We’ll Trust You To:
- Identify compliance risks associated with the business practices, products and services
- Help ensure that the business meets its regulatory requirements and mitigate compliance risks to avoid breaches, fines and regulatory sanctions
- Promote and deliver a compliance culture within the firm and assist with staff training on compliance matters
- Maintain the compliance program, including the compliance manuals, regulatory documentation and related policies and procedures
- Manage electronic communication surveillance and maintain records according to applicable law
- Manage regulatory inquiries and inspections and internal audits
- Create effective relationships with key regulators including, but not limited to, the OSC and IIROC
- Adapt to new systems and technology with ease
- Monitor and interpret regulatory developments
- Thrive handling a number of different tasks at the same time while often meeting tight deadlines
- Be a great teammate who is willing to support and assist other team members
- Be skilled at project management with the ability to build a successful project plan and bring various stakeholders together to work towards meeting tight deadlines
You’ll Need To Have:
- Minimum of 8 years of compliance experience with a regulated Canadian financial institution including an investment dealer or securities regulator
- Current Chief Compliance Officers Qualifying Exam
- Current Partner Director and Senior Officers Course
- Experience in liaising with financial regulators and the ability to handle regulatory inquiries and inspections
- Experience in drafting compliance manuals
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Confidence to interact with individuals from all levels of the business and relevant external partners
- A track record of working with and advising the business on compliance matters
We’d Love To See:
- Experience with working with engineers to articulate sufficiently precise requirements for programming to comply with applicable law and business requirements
- Working knowledge of NI 21-101 Market Operations and other National Instruments applicable to an alternative trading system and an investment dealer
- Working knowledge of IIROC reporting via the MTRS system
- A desire to be part of a team in a dynamic and fast-paced organization
- Legal Degree
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we’re a good match. We’ll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from you if you are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.