Compliance Officer - Toronto
Posted Aug 23, 2021 - Requisition No. 93525
Bloomberg’s Legal & Compliance Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and Information Company. Our team is made of up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We recognize the value of diversity and inclusion and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program!
The Global Compliance team within Bloomberg’s Legal & Compliance Department provides coverage of our regulated entities and products including support for our non-regulated products and services. We work to address regulatory issues, ensure compliance with current/developing rules and regulations, and correspond with regulators.
Bloomberg Tradebook focuses on providing sophisticated electronic trading solutions to third-party broker-dealers and their clients. In addition to other services, Bloomberg Tradebook provides analytics, connectivity services and algorithms to third-party brokers and order-entry systems and request-for-quote functionalities for transacting in fixed-income securities, equities, U.S. equity options and futures and non-U.S. options to the institutional investment community.
What’s The Role?
Reporting to the Senior Compliance Officer for Bloomberg Tradebook in the Americas, you will be responsible for helping to lead compliance coverage for our Canadian and U.S. broker-dealers with primary focus on: (1) helping to ensure compliance with current/developing Canadian rules and regulations including UMIR, IIROC Rules, National Instrument 21-101, (2) maintaining and improving the compliance framework and program and (3) corresponding with Canadian regulators such as the Ontario Securities Commission and IIROC.
The role will also involve coordination with members of the broader team in New York, London, and key jurisdictions in Asia, for purposes of coordinating compliance coverage with affiliated Bloomberg entities, and on central Compliance Practices and substantive programs. You may also work to support Bloomberg’s regulated entities in other jurisdictions including in conjunction with local country Compliance.
We’ll Trust You To:
- Identify compliance risks associated with the business practices, products and services
- Help ensure that the business meets its regulatory requirements and mitigate compliance risks to avoid breaches, fines and regulatory sanctions
- Promote and deliver a compliance culture within the firm and assist with staff training on compliance matters
- Help maintain the compliance program, including the compliance manuals, regulatory documentation and related policies and procedures
- Assist in the preparation of periodic reports to management and regulatory bodies
- Help with regulatory inquiries and inspections and internal audits
- Adapt to new systems and technology with ease
- Monitor and interpret regulatory developments
- Thrive handling a number of different tasks at the same time while often meeting tight deadlines
- Be a great teammate who is willing to support and assist other team members
You’ll Need To Have:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of: (1) compliance experience at a Canadian investment dealer, (2) regulatory experience at a securities regulator such as the Ontario Securities Commission or IIROC, or (3) attorney experience at a law firm or an in-house practice in a Canadian investment dealer
- Experience in directly liaising with financial regulators and the ability to handle regulatory inquiries and inspections
- The ability to review and update compliance policies and procedures to reflect industry best practices, the evolving regulatory environment and changes to the business
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Confidence to interact with individuals from all levels of the business and relevant external partners
- A track record of working with and advising the business on compliance matters
We’d Love To See:
- U.S. or Canadian Legal Degree
- A desire to be part of a team in a dynamic and fast-paced organization
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we’re a good match! We’ll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from you if you are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.