Breaking News Editor
Posted Aug 5, 2019 - Requisition No. 76489
We are looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in Washington. We headline market-moving news and tell the biggest stories at the heart of the American political system. You are someone who understands the players and institutions in DC so well that you can respond to, and even anticipate developments and their impact. You have laser-sharp news judgement and a deep interest in politics and policy. You are able to work both independently and as a team. You are able to make quick decisions under intense deadline pressure with confidence.
You are a collaborative, resourceful team player. You constantly seek out different sources, look to collaborate across the newsroom, and you monitor social media trends to stay informed. You a self-starter with great desire to break stories that are meaningful to our audience.
We'll trust you to:
- Stay poised and sharp in the midst of a very busy, fast-paced, and demanding environment.
- Exercise good judgement and confident decision-making.
- Pitch story ideas and help design ways to break news faster – never sacrificing quality.
- React quickly to ensure headlines and stories move swiftly to the wire.
- Write in a clear and accurate way, explaining why news matters and what is likely to happen next.
- Collaborate closely with dozens of Bloomberg reporters and editors in Washington and around the world.
- Unearth news from both traditional and social media sources.
- Recognize what is newsworthy, and pass on developments that are not.
- Make the right call on-the-spot when faced with surprise news, including from the White House, Congress and federal agencies.
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team-player.
You'll need to have:
- 3 or more years of experience in daily journalism.
- Robust knowledge of the White House, Congress and U.S. politics, and a well-developed source network.
- Understanding of financial markets and foreign affairs.
- Familiarity with social media and appreciation of how news breaks on various platforms.
- Experience writing and editing stories, sending headlines and using social media and mobile strategies.
- Ability to evaluate the credibility of social media sources and handle sensitive topics.
- Flexibility with hours and assignments.
If this sounds like you, apply today! We're eager to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.