Posted May 24, 2022 - Requisition No. 103853
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. At Bloomberg, we connect decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. At the core of this network is our ability to deliver data, news and analytics through innovative technology – quickly and accurately. Around the clock, around the globe – we empower business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed across platforms.
Bloomberg News is seeking a reporter in Washington to cover U.S. politics as President Joe Biden and the Democratic Party struggle to defend their hold on power heading into decisive elections in 2022 and 2024.
Top candidates will demonstrate a clear understanding of the American political landscape, including the enduring influence of Donald Trump and his impact on the Republican Party's prospects for retaking Congress and the White House. Ideal contenders will also show a firm grasp of the philosophical battles unfolding inside the Democratic party, between its moderate and progressive wings.
This reporter will be expected to land scoops from a deep network of sources driven by a desire to beat the competition at every turn. We also expect strong enterprise coverage that clearly explains the consequences of U.S. electoral politics to Bloomberg's sophisticated world-wide audience.
Prior experience covering Washington or a national political campaign is preferred but not essential. The role demands boundless energy, as it entails frequent travel along with weekend and after-hours work. The reporter will report to the Politics Team Leader in Washington but work with colleagues across Bloomberg's global newsroom on a range of topics, making collegiality and flexibility essential qualities.
We'll trust you to:
- Break news and write enterprise stories that help readers understand the complexities of U.S. politics.
- Work constructively and collaboratively with colleagues on the politics team and across the broader Bloomberg newsroom.
- Be flexible and creative in ways you identify and bring home stories.
- Be willing to work with a range of Bloomberg platforms, including Quicktake and Bloomberg Television and Radio.
- Experience covering a major institution, from a government to a major company to a leading industry.
- Demonstrated ability to build sources quickly, and maintain strong relationships.
- An ability to work under deadline pressure and break news on unfamiliar topics.
- A willingness to travel nationally, occasionally for long stretches and sometimes on short notice.
You'll need to have:
Does this sound like you?
Apply! If we believe you’re a good match we'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).